|07-15-2005, 11:34 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Advice sought re: Glock 29/30
I searched & learned (some), but still feel my question is worthwhile. Please bear with me. Any facts/advice is sincerely appreciated. I'm seriously considering a G30.
I've carried .40's (G23 & G27) or 1911 for approx. 11+ years. G20 is my constant woods companion. My Glock bases fairly well covered, I ignored the G30. Learning about Glock's imperfections/upgrades has somewhat agitated my view of .40's. Not that I'll sell mine! Dean's repeated advocacy of the G30 got me studying them.
I fired an early G30 & was pinched by the extended mag. I've handled a few G30's w/flush base pads recently & will try to fire one soon.
Questions & Confusions:
1) If the G21 has kb & mag issues, how fares the G30 & why?
2) Is there a problem w/newer frames/receivers? Are there problems w/light rails?
3) Does the G30 have a fully supported chamber or not?
4) What problems/quirks should I look for at purchase time?
5) I always set up my Glocks up with my prefered OEM trigger group & sights. What are the nitty-gritty items would you recommend changing for max safety, durability & reliability? IE: Aftermarket barrel, titanium/stainless guide rod, etc, et-al? Not looking to make a gaudy pistol - just maximum performance & safety.
Latly, how does the G29 compare in all of this? I like the 10mm, but assume there's a reason the G30 is a more prevelant recomendaion.
|07-16-2005, 11:13 AM||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington State
I really can't answer any of your questions but I DO own a Glock 30 and I love it. It is my MAIN carry weapon. I've shot everything from cheap 230gr range ammo to very HOT DoubleTap 185gr & 200gr ammo and have never had any problems with it at all. Not one jam of any kind. I took it brand new, straight from the box, to a 2-day defensive handgun course where I fired over 1000 rounds through it without a hiccup. I trust it completely.
I'd heard of people being pinched by the 10-round magazines but it's not happened to me.
Because I like to shoot hot ammo through it, and my carry ammo is loaded hot, I upgraded the recoil spring and guide rod. It now sports a Wolff non-captured steel guide rod and 19-pound recoil spring (stock spring is 17-pound). I also put Wolff "+10%" springs in my 10-round magazines. Other than that it's a stock weapon. I DO plan to install Heinie "Straight Eight" night sights.
Glock model 30: Very accurate, very concealable, and the ultimate in reliability.
|07-20-2005, 09:50 AM||#3|
Join Date: Aug 2004
Re: Advice sought re: Glock 29/30
To address your numbered questions:
1) There are kB occurrences from time to time with many guns. Some are due to overzealous handloaders, some due to improper maintenance in shooting lead (the Glock rifling is different & lends itself more to buildup). There are no specific issues I can address here other than to say that Glocks are fine handguns.
2) No. No.
3) No Glocks have a fully-supported chamber. You may want to look at the functioning of many other autopistols before regarding this particular "buzzword" as a detriment. If you do your part (use ammo within specs) the Glock will do its part (go bang when you pull the trigger).
4) None specifically; there have been instances in the past (as with many guns of many makes) where certain SN-ranges in a given model were recalled back by the factory either to correct an area where manufacturing was found out of tolerance, or to inspect the gun & return to the user as a just-in-case type thing. So if you're buying used, do a little research. Note that here we're talking about a few thousand guns in the overall scheme of several million. Shop I'm armorer for recently returned a G36 in our inventory to Smyrna on a precautionary recall (guns possibly affected was about 1,000). Nothing wrong & gun was back in a couple days, shipping both ways on Glock's dime.
5) Max performance & reliability: add your choice of sights, grip tape if you like, feed it quality ammo (including proper handloads) and leave it alone.
FWIW, I love my G21 .45 ACP, but didn't care for the feel of a G30 in my hand. My other favorite frame-size is the G19, so when the G38 came out (G19 size w/8+1 of .45 GAP) I'm really glad I got one. It's now my main companion - absolutely love it. A G37 mag with the OEM 7151 base gives 11 spare rounds. The G39 is 6+1 in a package about the size of a G26. There are superb quality defense loads out there for it as well. Just another area you might want to pursue. Have fun and good luck in your choice. 8)
|07-20-2005, 11:10 AM||#4|
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, CA :-( the CA part
I can't speak to your questions but I called the factory awhile back and confirmed that both the G29 and the G30 have the same frame. I bought proper mags and a G29 upper and now I shoot both.
|08-04-2005, 09:15 PM||#5|
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Washington, DC
The 30 is a fine pistol. I carried mine for the better part of 5 years, and it always served me well. The first bind I ever had with it was last Saturday at a match using some of my own reloads, so I dont blame the gun.
With the right leather (or kydex,) the gun is as concealable as the 19/23 size guns. Buy the best leather for it you can afford.
Carrying the big 21 sticks as spares is a good combo with a 30. Ammo is plentiful, and made to any situation desired from practice to serious duty. The gun recoils softly, and is as accurate as any duty gun I have ever shot.
|08-04-2005, 09:17 PM||#6|
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Washington, DC
And I almost forgot - as long as the gun comes with a 5 lb connector, leave everything stock except the sights. Heinie Straight Eights are hard to beat on a carry gun.
|Search tags for this page|
2 magazine jamming on glock 29,
bought a used glock 30 2005,
can you use a glock 30 magazine in a glock 29,
glock 29 or 30,
glock 30 base pads,
glock g29 frame recall,
m&p 45 vs g30 chamber support
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|.22 cal pistolsmith sought||eflatminor||Bullseye||2||02-02-2007 01:14 PM|
|MA FFL advice sought.||Terrapin88||Gun Talk||0||01-26-2004 04:58 PM|
|LFI's Advanced Handgun Skills - Advice Sought||Anthony||Training and Tactics||2||09-09-2003 11:51 AM|
|P38 extended magazine(s) sought||jmcmahon||Walther Pistols||1||12-13-2002 07:02 PM|
|Buying advise sought.||Glenn||M1911 Pistols||15||02-06-2002 04:54 PM|