|01-31-2009, 06:31 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2006
The Magic of Alan Harton
If you are a single action sixgun fan you need to know about Alan Harton. He was recently featured in American Handgunner in an article written by John Taffin. Harton is a complete sixgunsmith that can do it all. Precise Machinework, Fine Welding, Hand finishing, and Custom Stockmaking. Here is a link to some of his work he recently completed for me:
http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/vie ... =11&t=4246
|04-10-2009, 07:55 AM||#2|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Re: The Magic of Alan Harton
Alan Harton and his work:
Thought it was important to pass on the following information. Although Harton is a very good machinist he is sadly lacking in the restoration of original Single Actions.
I just got my Ainsworth Colt SAA 45 back from Harton. He had it for about a year and a half to do a complete restoration. He promised to bring it back to "Like-new factory condition." He did a good job making a new barrel and doing some welding repair work But that's where it stopped.
I sent the gun out for an insurance appraisal and for the application of a grip cartouche application. Here's what the "real" SAA expert said:
1. The barrel is new and is missing two factory inspection marks of C and S under the ejector housing.
2. The A inspection mark is the wrong shape.
3. The barrel address should have been taken down flat to the barrel.
4. The sight groove has been remachined and is not correct.
5. Original stamped patent dates and U.S. have been removed and replacement wording has been cut into the metal. This is not correct. Based on photos, the original markings did not need to be replaced.
6. The strap numbers are also cut, probably over the originals. Again, not correct.
7. Blue is incorrect for the period, as is the polish.
8. Grips are new, but shaped incorrectly.
9. The cylinder is a rechamber from a smaller caliber, having the notches recut and the front bevels shaped to resemble an Ainsworth cylinder.
Well, after spending about $2800 I was very disappointed. Harton has not responded to any of my requests for contact: certified mail, emails, etc.
So, if you have a clone you want worked on, I'm sure he can do a great job. I you have a real Colt Single Action Army you want restored - PLEASE send it to someone who will not destroy it's value.
Just my 2 cents (oops $2,800)
|Search tags for this page|
alan harton custom guns,
alan harton gunsmith,
alan harton gunsmith website,
alan harton single action service,
alan horton gunsmith,
single action service,
single action service alan harton,
single action service harton
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Alan Tanaka at AT Custom||pklin||Pistolsmiths||14||08-02-2006 11:08 PM|
|Magic, Mirrors, and Actions by "T"||fishguide||Pistolsmiths||35||05-24-2002 01:19 PM|